Institute for Seed and Seedlings performs the tasks in the field of seeds, seedlings and agricultural plant varieties acknowledgement according to Seeds, Planting Material and Agricultural Plant Varieties Acknowledgement Act, the Plant Varieties Protection Act and the Centre Establishment Act. The Institute performs the following tasks:
- testing of new plant varieties for the needs of the variety list registration. These tests include the testing of value for cultivation and use ( VCU) and distinctness, uniformity and stability (DUS). DUS tests on certain plant varieties are being performed for the needs of plant varieties protection as well.
- seeds and planting material certification of fodder, cereals, beet, vegetable, potato, oilseeds and yarn plants, fruit varieties and grapevine,
- seeds sampling and quality testing in order to issue ISTA Orange certificates, to certify seeds, for the needs of agricultural inspection and information analysis,
- testing, control and monitoring of GMO and of products containing and/or consisting of or originating from GMO in the seeds, planting propagation material, planting material of forest species and crosses for use in the forestry,
- operation control of accredited laboratories, authorised samplers, authorised variety maintainers,
- conservation of genetic resources of agricultural plants,
- verification of requirements for registration of suppliers, laboratories and seed samplers,
- providing approval to a supplier to perform control under professional monitoring.